*We may earn a commission for the purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
Cooking shaved steak is an art that can elevate your dishes from ordinary to extraordinary with the right techniques and flavors. This versatile and tender cut of beef, perfect for a variety of recipes such as Mongolian stir fry, Philly cheesesteak, or even tacos, requires specific preparation methods to ensure mouthwatering results. Let’s find out how to cook shaved steak?
In this blog post, we’ll explore everything you need to know about purchasing the best cuts of meat, marinating and seasoning options, and various cooking techniques like pan-frying or grilling – all while retaining maximum flavor.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Shaved Steak And How To Buy It
- 2 Preparing Shaved Steak For Cooking
- 3 Different Techniques For Cooking Shaved Steak
- 4 Serving Suggestions For Shaved Steak
- 5 Tips And Tricks For Cooking Perfect Shaved Steak
- 5.1 Properly Seasoning The Steak
- 5.2 Monitoring The Heat
- 5.3 Letting The Meat Rest
- 5.4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5.5 1. What is the best way to cook shaved steak?
- 5.6 2. Should I marinate my shaved steak before cooking it?
- 5.7 3. How long should I let my shaved steak rest after cooking?
- 5.8 4. Can I freeze my leftover cooked shaved steak?
- 6 Conclusion
- Shaved steak is a versatile and tender cut of beef that requires specific preparation methods for maximum flavor.
- When buying shaved steak, look for bright red color with white marbling and choose cuts like sirloin tip, flank steak, ribeye, or top round.
- Properly defrosting the meat before cooking is crucial to ensure even cooking throughout. Marinating options include Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic, herbs, spices, or lemon/lime juice.
- Different techniques can be used to cook shaved steak such as pan-frying, grilling, broiling or stir-frying. Ensure proper handling techniques like using sharp knives when slicing and cutting shaving against the grain for optimal tenderness.
What Is Shaved Steak And How To Buy It
To cook the perfect shaved steak, it’s important to understand what it is and how to buy it. Shaved steak refers to thin slices of beef cut from different parts of the cow, such as sirloin or ribeye, using a meat slicer.
When purchasing shaved steak, look for bright red color with white marbling and avoid any cuts with a grayish tint or dry texture.
Understanding Shaved Steak
Shaved steak, a popular ingredient in many dishes such as Philly cheesesteaks and Mongolian beef, is essentially very thin slices of beef. The thinness allows for quicker cooking times and an incredibly tender texture when prepared correctly.
To properly understand shaved steak, it’s essential to recognize the role its thickness plays in flavor and tenderness. Due to its paper-thin size, the meat cooks rapidly, often just needing a few seconds per side on a hot surface before reaching optimal doneness.
This swift cooking process also helps retain moisture inside each slice while allowing seasonings and marinades to penetrate more deeply into the meat.
Choosing The Best Cut For Shaved Steak
To learn how to cook shaved steak, it is important to pick the right cut of beef. The best cuts for shaved steak are those that have a good amount of marbling and are relatively thin.
Some popular choices include sirloin tip, flank steak, ribeye, and top round. Ribeye has great flavor but can be expensive while top round is budget-friendly but may not be as tender.
It’s essential to buy quality meat from reputable suppliers for the best possible taste and texture. Additionally, make sure to slice against the grain to ensure that the shaved steak is tender when cooked.
How To Slice Shaved Steak
Slicing shaved steak the right way is crucial to ensure your recipe turns out perfect. Here are some tips on how to slice shaved steak:
- Start with the right cut of beef: Choose a cut of beef like flank or skirt steak that is easy to shave thinly.
- Freeze the beef for 30 minutes before slicing: This will allow you to easily shave thin slices without tearing the beef apart.
- Use a sharp knife: A sharp knife will make it easier to slice the beef thinly and evenly.
- Cut against the grain: When slicing, cut against the grain of the meat for tender, easy-to-eat pieces.
- Slice diagonally: Slice diagonally across the grain to create long, thin strips of meat that are perfect for recipes like stir fry or cheesesteaks.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your shaved steak is sliced perfectly and ready for cooking in your favorite dish!
Where To Buy Shaved Steak
Shaved steak is readily available at most grocery stores, and it can also be found at local butchers or meat markets. When looking for shaved steak, it’s important to choose a cut of beef that is well-suited for thin slicing, such as flank steak or sirloin.
Some popular brands that offer pre-sliced shaved steak include Hormel, Steak-Umm, and Land O’Frost. For those who prefer to buy their beef from a butcher or specialty meat market, ask the butcher for recommendations on the best cut of beef for shaving and cooking techniques.
Preparing Shaved Steak For Cooking
To ensure your shaved steak is tender and flavorful, it’s crucial to properly prepare it before cooking. In this section of the article, we’ll cover essential steps in learning how to cook shaved steak like defrosting the meat, marinating options, as well as tips for handling and cutting the shaved steak.
Defrosting The Steak
Before cooking shaved steak, it’s crucial to defrost it properly. The best way to defrost the steak is by transferring it from the freezer to the fridge and letting it thaw overnight.
You can also place the frozen steak in a zip-lock bag and submerge it in cold water until fully thawed.
Once your shaved steak has completely thawed, you can prepare it for cooking by marinating or seasoning as desired. Be sure to handle the meat carefully when slicing or preparing as too much handling can toughen up the texture of the beef.
Marinating And Seasoning Options
To add more flavor to your shaved steak, marinating and seasoning options are available. Here are some options you can try:
- Worcestershire sauce: A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce provide a savory and tangy taste to your beef.
- Soy sauce: A tablespoon of soy sauce adds a salty umami flavor to your dish.
- Garlic and herbs: Mix minced garlic with fresh or dried herbs like rosemary or thyme for a fragrant taste.
- Spices: Create your own spice blend by combining paprika, cumin, chili powder, and other spices according to your preference.
- Lemon or lime juice: Squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the shaved steak for an acidic kick that balances the rich meat flavor.
Remember to let the shaved steak marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before cooking to allow the flavors to penetrate the beef. Seasoning with salt and pepper during cooking is also essential to enhance its taste.
Tips For Handling And Cutting Shaved Steak
Handling and cutting shaved steak can be tricky, but with a few tips, you’ll be cooking like a pro in no time. Here are some helpful hints for working with this unique cut of beef:
- Keep the meat cold: Shaved steak can be very thin and delicate, which means it’s important not to let it get too warm. Make sure to keep the meat in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook it.
- Work with a sharp knife: Using a dull knife to slice shaved steak can cause the meat to tear or become mangled. A sharp knife will help you achieve clean cuts and prevent any damage to the meat.
- Cut against the grain: When slicing your shaved steak, make sure to cut against the grain of the meat. This will result in more tender and flavorful pieces.
- Use a cutting board: To avoid damaging your countertops or plates, use a cutting board when handling and slicing shaved steak.
- Separate pieces before cooking: If your shaved steak comes in a big clump, take some time to separate out individual pieces before cooking them. This will ensure even cooking and make it easier to season each piece separately.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to handle and cut shaved steak like a pro!
Different Techniques For Cooking Shaved Steak
There are several ways to cook shaved steak, including pan-frying, grilling, broiling, and stir-frying.
If you want to pan-fry your shaved steak, follow these steps:
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and let it heat up for 30 seconds.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add your shaved steak to the pan.
- Use a spatula or two wooden spoons to gently pull apart the shaved beef as it cooks.
- Cook the shaved beef for about 2 – 3 minutes on one side or until browned.
- Flip the beef over and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes on the other side until cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and check for any excess oil in the pan before transferring it to a plate.
This cooking method is perfect for making Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches or adding protein to stir-fries and salads. Remember to monitor the heat carefully, use proper seasoning techniques, and let your meat rest before serving for optimal taste and texture.
To add a smoky flavor to your shaved steak, grilling is a great option. Here’s how to grill shaved steak:
- Preheat the grill to medium – high heat.
- Brush the shaved steak with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper.
- Place the shaved steak directly on the grill grates and cook for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, or until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
- If you prefer your shaved steak well – done, move it to a cooler part of the grill and continue cooking until it’s fully cooked through.
- Once done, remove the shaved steak from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing it thinly against the grain.
- Serve immediately as desired by pairing with side dishes like grilled veggies, salads or in sandwiches like a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.
Grilling is an easy way to cook delicious shaved steak, while adding extra delicious flavors that make this meal perfect for any summer barbecue or gathering with friends and family.
To find out how to cook shaved steak using the broiling method, follow these steps:
- Preheat the broiler on high and place the oven rack in the top position.
- Place the shaved steak on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Lightly brush the steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil until browned and crispy, about 6 – 8 minutes depending on the thickness of your steak.
- Flip the steak halfway through cooking time using tongs or a spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Broiling is an excellent method for quickly cooking shaved steak while keeping it juicy and flavorful. It’s perfect for dishes like cheesesteak sandwiches or stir-fry recipes that require thin slices of beef with crispy edges. Remember to watch closely while broiling, as shaved steaks can easily overcook due to their thinness.
To cook shaved steak using the stir-fry method, follow these simple steps:
- Begin by heating a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium – high heat.
- Once hot, add sliced onions and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add the shaved steak to the pan and stir continuously for 4 – 5 minutes until it is browned on all sides.
- Add any desired vegetables to the pan such as broccoli, peppers, or carrots, and continue to stir-fry for an additional 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt, pepper, and other desired seasonings such as soy sauce or garlic powder.
- Serve the cooked shaved steak and vegetables over rice noodles or rice.
Using the stir-fry method is a quick and easy way to prepare shaved steak for a delicious meal. It allows you to cook the beef quickly while also incorporating various vegetables for added nutrition and flavor. Remember to continuously stir the ingredients in the pan to prevent them from sticking and ensure even cooking throughout the dish.
Temperature And Time Guidelines
Cooking shaved steak to perfection requires careful attention to the temperature and time. Below is an HTML table outlining the temperature guidelines and cooking times for different shaved steak cooking methods.
|Medium Heat (350°F)
|2-3 minutes per side
|High Heat (400-450°F)
|1-2 minutes per side
|High Heat (500-550°F)
|3-4 minutes per side
|High Heat (350-375°F)
|3-4 minutes total
These temperature guidelines and cooking times will help ensure that your shaved steak is cooked to perfection, tender, and flavorful. Keep in mind that these times may vary slightly depending on the thickness of the steak and individual preferences for doneness. Always monitor your heat carefully and adjust as needed for the best results.
Serving Suggestions For Shaved Steak
Serving suggestions for shaved steak include making tacos, cheesesteak sandwiches, and pairing with side dishes such as broccoli – get creative in the kitchen and try out different recipes!
Shaved Steak Tacos
One delicious way to enjoy shaved steak is by using it as a filling for tacos. To make shaved steak tacos, start by cooking the shaved beef in a pan with some olive oil over medium heat.
Season the meat with salt and pepper while it cooks and use a spatula or two wooden spoons to gently pull apart the meat as it browns.
Next, prepare your taco shells or tortillas according to preference.
To assemble your shaved steak tacos: place each shell on a plate or arrange them on a platter. Spread some warm refried beans onto each shell then add some cooked shaved beef on top of that.
Finally, drizzle hot sauce over everything before adding grated cheese at last – serve immediately! The result will be tender strips of juicy beef nestled inside crispy corn shells or soft flour tortillas complete with spicy flavors dancing across every bite!
The Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is an all-time American classic and one of the most popular dishes made with shaved steak. To make this delicious sandwich, start by sautéing onions in a frying pan with olive oil before adding the shaved beef.
You can add some cheese on top while the steak is still hot, letting it melt before using a spatula or two wooden spoons to gently pull apart the beef as it cooks. Once fully cooked and seasoned, scoop up the deliciously flavored shaved steak mixture onto a long roll or baguette, topping it off with additional melted cheese for that perfect gooey texture.
Steak And Cheese Sandwich
Another delicious way to enjoy shaved steak is by making a steak and cheese sandwich. Simply sauté the shaved beef with onions in a frying pan coated with olive oil over medium heat.
Season the meat with salt and pepper as it cooks, then use a spatula or two wooden spoons to gently pull apart the meat.
Serve hot on a toasted hoagie roll or bread of your choice for an authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwich experience. This classic dish has been enjoyed for decades in Philadelphia and has since become popular all over the country.
Pairings With Side Dishes
When it comes to serving shaved steak after you know how to cook shaved steak, pairing it with the right side dishes can elevate the overall dining experience. Here are some great options:
- French Fries – A classic side dish for a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, French fries and shaved steak go together like peanut butter and jelly.
- Grilled Vegetables – Grilling vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and onions alongside the shaved steak adds some healthy balanced flavors to the meal.
- Mashed Potatoes – Creamy mashed potatoes make a great side that complements the savory flavors of the shaved beef.
- Broccoli – Steamed or roasted broccoli is another healthy option that complements the richness of the beef.
- Salad – A simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing can add some brightness and freshness to a heavier meat-based dish.
Remember, when choosing your side dishes, consider textures and flavors that complement or contrast with your main dish for a satisfying dining experience.
Tips And Tricks For Cooking Perfect Shaved Steak
Properly seasoning the steak, monitoring the heat, and letting the meat rest are all crucial steps to achieving perfectly cooked shaved steak.
Properly Seasoning The Steak
To properly season shaved steak, it is recommended to keep things simple and let the natural flavor of the beef shine through. Salt and pepper are classic choices that work well for most dishes.
One tip to ensure even seasoning is to sprinkle the salt and pepper over both sides of the shaved steak before cooking it. You can also mix your chosen seasonings with some olive oil and use this as a marinade for the shaved beef before grilling or pan-frying it.
Remember that less is often more when it comes to seasoning meat, so be careful not to overdo it.
Monitoring The Heat
To cook the perfect shaved steak, it’s essential to monitor the heat. Whether you’re using a frying pan or a grill, knowing when to adjust the temperature can make all the difference in achieving that tender, juicy texture.
One way to keep track of the heat is by using a meat thermometer. Insert it into the thickest part of your shaved beef and aim for an internal temperature of 135-145°F for medium-rare or 155-165°F for well-done steak.
Another helpful tip is to pay attention to any smoke or burnt smells coming from your cooking surface, as this could indicate that the pan or grill is too hot and needs adjusting.
Letting The Meat Rest
After cooking the shaved steak, it’s crucial to let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the meat to redistribute its juices, resulting in a more succulent and tender texture.
The length of resting time varies depending on the size of the cut, but a general rule of thumb is about five minutes.
Letting meat rest is not only essential for improving taste and texture but also ensures that your dish looks visually appealing by preventing any juice from spilling out when cutting into it.
So next time you cook shaved steak or any other type of meat, don’t skip this essential step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions on how to cook shaved steak:
1. What is the best way to cook shaved steak?
The best way to cook shaved steak depends on personal preference, but most people recommend using a hot skillet over medium-high heat with some oil or butter. Cook the meat for 2-3 minutes on each side until it’s browned and crispy.
2. Should I marinate my shaved steak before cooking it?
Marinating your shaved steak can add more flavor to your dish, especially if you are using tougher cuts of meat. A marinade that includes acidic ingredients like vinegar or lemon juice can also help tenderize the meat before cooking.
3. How long should I let my shaved steak rest after cooking?
Allowing your cooked shaved steak to rest for a few minutes is important as it allows the juices inside to redistribute throughout the meat, making it more flavorful and juicy when you cut into it. Letting it sit for at least 5-10 minutes will usually suffice.
4. Can I freeze my leftover cooked shaved steak?
Yes, leftover cooked shaved steak may be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months. Simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating in a skillet or oven until warmed through and crisp again (if desired).
Now that you know how to cook shaved steak, the possibilities are endless! Whether you’re in the mood for a classic Philly Cheesesteak or want to switch things up with a Shaved Beef Stir-Fry or Mongolian Beef dish, this versatile cut of meat is sure to satisfy.
By following our tips and tricks on how to cook shaved steak, including proper seasoning and monitoring heat levels, you’ll be able to cook juicy and delicious shaved steak every time.