*We may earn a commission for the purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
Shaved steak, also known as chipped steak, is a cut of beef that has been mechanically tenderized by slicing or pressing to break down the meat fibers. This process makes the meat thinner and more tender, as well as quicker cooking. In this article, I will talk about some of my favourite shaved steak recipes.
Shaved steak is usually made from inexpensive tougher cuts like round, chuck, or sirloin. The meat is run through a mechanical tenderizer that blades or needles to cut through the connective tissue. This makes the steak ready to cook fast over high heat.
Compared to whole cuts of beef, shaved steak is budget-friendly. The thin slices cook lightning-fast. Shaved steak is extremely versatile – perfect for stir fries, fajitas, cheesesteaks, and more!
Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients needed
- 2 How to make shaved steak stir-fry
- 3 Tips to make the best recipe
- 4 Variations
- 5 Storage instructions
- 6 More shaved steak recipes
- 7 Frequently asked questions
- 7.1 What’s the difference between shaved steak and minute steak?
- 7.2 Can I use round steak for shaved steak?
- 7.3 How should I season shaved steak?
- 7.4 How do I tenderize shaved steak?
- 7.5 What’s the healthiest way to cook shaved steak?
- 7.6 Can I freeze cooked shaved steak?
- 7.7 How long does shaved steak last in the fridge?
- 7.8 What can I use if I don’t have shaved steak?
- 7.9 What sauce goes well with shaved steak?
To cook delicious shaved steak recipes at home, you will need:
- Shaved steak – you can find packs of thinly sliced shaved steak at the grocery store, or purchase whole cuts like round steak, chuck steak, or sirloin and slice them very thin at home. Allow about 4-6 ounces shaved steak per person.
- Oil – for cooking the meat. You can use olive oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, etc.
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, etc to add lots of flavor.
- Onions and peppers – classic stir fry veggies that pair perfectly with shaved steak.
- Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce – for extra flavoring.
- Other veggies like broccoli, carrots, snap peas, mushrooms etc.
- Rice, pasta, or bread – shaved steak is delicious served over rice, pasta, stuffed into a sub roll, wrapped in a tortilla or pita, etc.
- Toppings like cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa – to make your shaved steak dish even more tasty.
With just a few basic ingredients, you can make so many quick and delicious meals with shaved steak!
How to make shaved steak stir-fry
Stir-frying is one of the easiest and tastiest ways to cook shaved steak. Here is a simple recipe:
- 1 lb shaved steak, sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Pat the sliced shaved steak dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the shaved steak in a single layer without overcrowding. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, just until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Stir in the onions and bell pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the broccoli and cook 1 minute more. Pour in the soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Toss to coat the veggies.
- Return the cooked shaved steak to the pan and toss everything together for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve the shaved steak stir fry immediately over cooked rice. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!
The quick cooking time makes shaved steak ideal for stir fries. Feel free to swap out the veggies for your favorites like mushrooms, snap peas, carrots, etc. This versatile dish comes together in under 30 minutes for a fast weeknight meal.
Tips to make the best recipe
Here are some helpful tips and tricks for making delicious shaved steak recipes:
- Use very sharp knives when slicing the steak thin at home. Partially freezing the meat for 30 minutes first can make it easier to cut paper-thin slices.
- Cut across the grain of the meat to shorten the muscle fibers for more tenderness.
- Use a meat mallet or tenderizer to further break down the meat fibers on thicker steaks.
- Pat the steak dry before cooking to ensure nice browning.
- Season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. Shaved steak benefits from bold seasoning.
- Use high heat and cook just until browned, 1-2 minutes per side. Overcooking will toughen shaved steak.
- Slice meat thin and across the grain for stir fries. Thin slices cook fast.
- Add acidity like lime juice or balsamic vinegar to brighten the flavors.
- Let meat rest 3-5 minutes after cooking for juicier steak.
- Pair with flavorful sauces and toppings. The thin meat absorbs sauces well.
Following these simple tips will ensure you get tender, flavorful results with your shaved steak recipes!
The possibilities are endless when cooking with shaved steak! Here are some delicious variations to try:
- Steak tacos – Season shaved steak with chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Cook with onions and peppers. Serve in warm tortillas with guacamole.
- Steak sandwiches – Pile shaved steak with melty provolone cheese, sautéed onions and peppers on a sub roll.
- Cheesesteak stuffed potatoes – Top baked potatoes with shaved steak, cheese, and any other favorite toppings.
- Steak salad – Toss cooked steak with greens, tomatoes, avocado, and vinaigrette dressing.
- Steak fajitas – Cook with onions, peppers, and Mexican seasonings. Serve with tortillas, salsa, etc.
- Steak and eggs – Enjoy shaved steak with scrambled eggs for breakfast.
- Steak rice bowl – Cooked steak served over rice with veggies and teriyaki or Korean BBQ sauce.
- Mongolian beef – Toss shaved steak in a sweet garlic sauce. Serve with rice.
So simple to adapt shaved steak for pasta nights, burritos, salad toppers and more. Get creative with quick cooking shaved steak!
- Freshly sliced shaved steak should be cooked or frozen within 2 days.
- To freeze, pat steak slices dry and place in a single layer between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze up to 4 months.
- Thaw frozen shaved steak overnight in the fridge before cooking.
- Cooked shaved steak can be stored covered in the fridge 3-4 days. Reheat gently before serving.
- For longer storage, cooked steak can be frozen up to 2 months.
- For best results, slice and cook shaved steak as needed. The tenderized meat is delicate and doesn’t hold as well as other whole cut steaks.
Following proper storage guidelines will maintain safety and quality when storing your shaved steak.
More shaved steak recipes
Beyond stir fries, there are so many quick and tasty ways to use shaved steak in meals:
Shaved Steak and Pasta
Sauté shaved steak with garlic, tomatoes, spinach and seasonings. Toss with hot cooked pasta. Top with Parmesan.
Southwestern Shaved Steak Wraps
Cook shaved steak with taco seasoning. Serve in flour tortillas with beans, rice, peppers, onion, cheese, etc.
Shaved Steak Salad with Blue Cheese
Marinate shaved steak in balsamic dressing. Grill or pan sear, then slice. Toss with salad greens, blue cheese crumbles, and ranch dressing.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
Fill bell peppers with shaved steak, onions, melted cheese, and serve with crispy fries.
Shaved Steak Banh Mi Sandwiches
Pile shaved lemongrass beef, cucumbers, and pickled carrots on French baguettes.
Shaved Steak Miso Ramen
Top steaming bowls of ramen noodles with shaved steak, soft boiled egg, and miso broth.
Shaved Steak Caesar Salad
Pan sear seasoned shaved steak. Toss with crisp romaine, croutons, and creamy Caesar dressing.
The possibilities are limitless for easy, flavorful meals using shaved steak!
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between shaved steak and minute steak?
Shaved steak is sliced very thin before cooking. Minute steak is a whole cut like sirloin pounded thin. Both cook quickly.
Can I use round steak for shaved steak?
Yes, round steak works well sliced very thin. Partially freeze to make slicing easier.
How should I season shaved steak?
Shaved steak benefits from bold seasoning before cooking. Coat with oil and season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and other favorite spices.
How do I tenderize shaved steak?
The mechanical tenderization process helps break down tough connective tissues. Pound thicker steaks with a meat mallet to further tenderize. Marinating 1-2 hours also tenderizes.
What’s the healthiest way to cook shaved steak?
Grilling, broiling, or pan searing over high heat cooks shaved steak quickly while allowing fat to drip away. Avoid frying which can make it greasy.
Can I freeze cooked shaved steak?
Cooked shaved steak can be frozen up to 2 months. Allow to thaw in the fridge before reheating gently on the stove or in the microwave.
How long does shaved steak last in the fridge?
Store freshly sliced shaved steak for 2 days max. Cooked steak will last 3-4 days well sealed in the fridge. Use frozen steak within 2 months.
What can I use if I don’t have shaved steak?
Skirt steak, flank steak, sirloin, or flat iron steak sliced very thin can all substitute well. Or slice a whole steak very thin.
What sauce goes well with shaved steak?
Teriyaki, Korean BBQ, hoisin, chimichurri, steak sauce like A1 or Heinz 57 all pair deliciously with shaved steak.
Feel free to reach out with any other shaved steak cooking questions!